A moment of contemplation for yourself or on behalf of others on everything from the life-altering to the mundane.


Prayer: A conversation with The Higher Other who lives within each of us. An invitation to vent, to re-think, to ask, and to rest.

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Meditation Moments: Do I believe that?




I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer.
              ― Douglas Adams* [1952-2001]






Great Spirit of My Soul,
       I seem to ask that question quite a bit though I never seem to get a complete answer from myself. Other people seem very clear, even emphatic, about their beliefs and I often wish I could be. But the truth is, my answers keep changing, and, so, I often wonder why I wonder.
      One of the things about You of which I am certain is that there is You. Another is that You have many titles, many layers, and You are available to me in many, many ways.    
      But...there are the uncertain parts. Is there anything I'm required to believe? There sure are a lot of different ideas about You among people who get very upset, extremely angry, and even start wars if others disagree with them. If You are a Universal God, why do we have to fight about You? It's all in the details, I suppose - who made the rules and who shouts the rules out better. Are their rules all about loving You and each other, or control and manipulation by some earthly representative? 
       I learn more about who You are in my life through personal and communal prayer, by reading and talking about different faith traditions with others, and by looking at the lives of people I think are good models for my life. That helps me when those pesky questions arise. 
       Perhaps the God of those who fight, argue, and demand the most of others is smaller than You are and kept in a manageable box. Do I believe THAT? Why yes, yes I do.  amen.

*Douglas Adams, English born dramatist, humorist, and author, is best known for The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, a comedic science fiction series of books, tv, movies, computer games, and plays. 
     



Please feel free to request a prayer or meditation to be composed for a particular person, concern, or topic for posting in this space. You may leave your request in the comments section or contact me directly at Leeosophy@gmail.com All compositions remain the property of the owner of this blog but may be used with attribution as long as they are not sold or charged for in any way. If you would like the weekly Prayers of the People prior to its appearance on the blog, please send me an email. Personal prayer requestors will remain anonymous.


No comments:

Post a Comment