A moment of contemplation for yourself or on behalf of others on everything from the life-altering to the mundane.


Prayer: A conversation with The Higher Other who lives within each of us. An invitation to vent, to re-think, to ask, and to rest.

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Prayers for Lent, Day 17, Give Up, Take On, Pray


Psalm 23 speaks to us in the simplest of terms that belie the intricacy of its depth. The symbolism in this well-known Psalm is far more complex and fascinating than just the obvious image of a guy walking down a lane with a big staff and a dog, or the pretty girl of nursery rhymes with a bow on her crook as the sheep dutifully follow.  
      The demands on real living shepherds are constant and endless.  Sheep are peculiarly needy and helpless creatures, quite restive, and even self-destructive at times. They can stand still for hours or bolt into stampede because an apple drops unexpectedly from a tree. The shepherd must keep continuous vigil against disease, insect infestations, predators, pecking order fights, escape artists, water and food supplies. Sheep will NOT lie down unless they are completely contented and secure. A special oil mixture that the shepherd prepares and swabs around the sheep's head and nose keeps deadly insects from burrowing and causing panic and disease, and the sheep is calmed for a bit. Then there are shearing and lambing seasons...*
         Taken line by line in this Psalm we can see, feel, and almost hear Jesus, our Shepherd, here with us, reviving, caring, comforting, and anointing. Watching over us, preparing our table, restoring us.  Nothing we need is withheld.  A Good Shepherd's job is never done.


Most Gracious and Vigilant Shepherd,
      How much of my life I have known the words of this lovely little Psalm ~ but have I paid attention to them?  Have I understood what they really mean in my life?  They're so familiar that when it comes time I recite them with a matter-of-fact monotone voice without even listening to myself.  But for today, I will give up taking for granted that You ARE the Shepherd who restores my soul and anoints my heart when I call on You. I will take on reading this Psalm carefully and slowly at least twice.  I will pray these words with conscious intention, recognizing the important message that Christ Jesus IS my shepherd.  I will read it one time as a prayer for myself, emphasizing the parts that do refer to me:  The Lord is MY Shepherd; I shall not be in want. He makes ME lie down in green pastures and leads ME beside still waters......
       And then, I will read it once more (at least). Only this time I'll add the name and appropriate pronouns of someone I know as an intercessory prayer. And I will carry the image of Jesus leading us, comforting us, anointing us as we walk toward dwelling in the House of the Lord forever. I think I will call this, Psalm 23.1amen.


Psalm 23  (format from the Book of Common Prayer)

The LORD is Anna's shepherd;
She shall not be in want.

He makes Anna lie down in green pastures
and leads her beside still waters.

He revives Anna's soul
and guides her along right pathways for his Name's sake.

Though Anna walks through the valley of the shadow of death,
She shall fear no evil;
for you are with her;
your rod and your staff, they comfort her.

You spread a table before Anna in the presence of those
who trouble her;
You anoint her head with oil,
and her cup is running over.

Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow her all the days
of her life,
And Anna will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Amen.


*I commend to you a charming and interesting little book, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, by W. Phillip Keller, for a closer look at the connections between the Psalm's descriptions and real life sheep farming.


Please feel free to request a prayer to be composed for a particular concern or topic for posting in this space. You may leave your request in the comments section or contact me directly at Leeosophy@gmail.com All compositions remain the property of the owner of this blog but may be used with attribution as long as they are not sold or charged for in any way. Requestors will remain anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment