A moment of contemplation for yourself or on behalf of others on everything from the life-altering to the mundane.


Prayer: A conversation with The Higher Other who lives within each of us. An invitation to vent, to re-think, to ask, and to rest.

Friday, August 8, 2014

Meditation Moments: WWNMD?

I am fundamentally an optimist. Whether that comes from nature or nurture, I cannot say. Part of being optimistic is keeping one's head pointed toward the sun, one's feet moving forward. There were many dark moments when my faith in humanity was sorely tested, but I would not and could not give myself up to despair. That way lays defeat and death.  Nelson Mandela* [1918-2013] 

Well, God, 
        If I'm planning a self-indulgent pity party of the poor me variety and the world news isn't enough to divert me, then it's time to read Mandela. All the usual descriptors apply - inspiring, heroic, determined, etc. - and, he ascended to heights well above anything that seemed remotely possible. So, Creator of Excessively Amazing People, could I have just a touch of what You gave Madiba? His own words certainly say more than mine can and I need to read them often. His life story is the very definition of hope. Will You please nudge me when I'm slowly sinking into my own stuff? (although a nudge might not be enough - sometimes I need You to shove me into the next room) 
        I need to be more optimistic, even if I have to work hard to achieve it. Nelson is a tremendous role model - he was flawed, brilliant, and tenacious. It's comforting to know that even he had his dark and doubtful moments - he was no saint but a real flesh and blood person. We all have our trials in life but rare is the example of such perseverance in the face of overwhelming adversity. And because of his story, I can walk a bit more briskly into the face of whatever comes. I can change my address to Hope Street and, in addition to wondering What Would Jesus Do to decide my next course, I can add What Would Nelson Mandela Do to the equation. I don't pretend to have any real idea what either one would actually do, but at least with the inspiration of both, I have a head start into moving forward with my "head pointed toward the sun."  amen.


*Nelson Mandela, revolutionary, politician, philanthropist, duly democratically elected first black President of South Africa after 27 years of imprisonment for sedition, treason, and sabotage. If you do not know his story - why not? Look it up!




Please feel free to request a prayer or meditation to be composed for a particular person, concern, or topic for posting in this space. You may leave your request in the comments section or contact me directly at Leeosophy@gmail.com All compositions remain the property of the owner of this blog but may be used with attribution as long as they are not sold or charged for in any way. If you would like the weekly Prayers of the People prior to its appearance on the blog, please send me an email. Personal prayer requestors will remain anonymous.



No comments:

Post a Comment