A moment of contemplation for yourself or on behalf of others on everything from the life-altering to the mundane.


Prayer: A conversation with The Higher Other who lives within each of us. An invitation to vent, to re-think, to ask, and to rest.

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Ascending Prayers: Is there ever enough?

But of God you can never have a sufficiency. The more you have of God, the more you desire. 
If you could ever have enough of God, 
so that you were content with him, 
then God would not be God.    
― Meister Eckhart* [c. 1260 – c. 1327]





Dear God,
      I'm feeling some resistance within myself at the thought that the more of You I have - that is, the more I recognize that I have - the more of You I will want. I know You are already here but the difficulty I'm having is that I think I might be wary of wanting more. How will that change my life?  I already go to church, pledge, do my work, talk to You on a fairly regular basis, contribute to charities, take care of a few people in the family now and then. Does wanting more of You in my everyday life require me to pay more attention to You than I do my lawn, my car, the new Smart TV? What will the neighbors think if I get all "Godly" on them? Heck, what will my family think - ok, so I know what they'll think. 
      Well, it also seems to me that I do want more of You but can we work up slowly?  I'm not sure how I'll handle the rest of my life with You at the Center given that I had expected it to be a bit different. Can I still go on the vacation if I promise to take You with me? Let's just say, for the moment, HELP! I'm reaching out hesitantly but I'm also certain You'll always hold me close. amen.



*Meister Eckart von Hockheim was a Dominican priest, German philosopher, theologian, and mystic who had more than a brush with controversy. Some of his teachings were labeled as heresy and he was brought before the Inquisition. Since the 19th century, interest in Eckart's teachings have been quite popular and he is now considered a "great mystic". 











Please feel free to request a prayer to be composed for a particular concern or topic for posting in this space. You may leave your request in the comments section or contact me directly at Leeosophy@gmail.com All compositions remain the property of the owner of this blog but may be used with attribution as long as they are not sold or charged for in any way. If you would like the weekly Prayers of the People prior to its appearance on the blog, send me an email. Personal prayer requestors will remain anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment