A moment of contemplation for yourself or on behalf of others on everything from the life-altering to the mundane.


Prayer: A conversation with The Higher Other who lives within each of us. An invitation to vent, to re-think, to ask, and to rest.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Prayers in Pentecost: The only thing I'm always sure of is that I'm not always sure...


The key to wisdom is this - constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at the truth. - Peter Abelard* [1079-1142]






Well, God, 
     Doubt and Questioning has always been part of my journey to You although for my early life I kept it hidden and secret. I was told what to believe by the religious education I had as a child and there was no room for questions. I drifted away, You know, but when I came back, I was still in the really, is that what happened, okay maybe but....mode. I discovered a lot more "religious" types who only wanted to tell me how things are, what the Bible means, and any disagreement isn't tolerated.  Didn't stay with them, either.  After some more serious study I am surprised at how many questions I still have but I'm grateful to have found a community in which to ask, discuss, disagree, and decide at least about a few things. I've learned to listen, to think, to process but mostly, to pray.  I know I don't have many answers, sometimes I don't even know the questions, but one thing I know I'm sure of - Your Presence. Thank You for being here. You don't mind about the questions, right? amen.


*Peter Abelard was a French philosopher and theologian who was no stranger to controversy.  The son of a knight he gave up inheritance and a military career to pursue philosophy and traveled around France studying with the foremost philosophers of his day.  He ultimately moved to Paris and became a well-known teacher of philosophy and theology and was hired as a private tutor for the daughter of the Canon of the Cathedral of Paris. Abelard and the Canon's daughter, Heloise, fell in love, conceived a child and secretly married. The Canon had Abelard castrated and sent to a monastery; Heloise to a convent. Abelard continued to write controversial books and articles and was at various times declared heretical and also had large followings. He and Heloise famously wrote many letters to one another and at his death, she had his body buried near her convent.  She was buried with him when she died.  





Please feel free to request a prayer to be composed for a particular concern or topic for posting in this space. You may leave your request in the comments section or contact me directly at Leeosophy@gmail.com All compositions remain the property of the owner of this blog but may be used with attribution as long as they are not sold or charged for in any way. If you would like the weekly Prayers of the People prior to its appearance on the blog, please send me an email. Personal prayer requestors will remain anonymous.

No comments:

Post a Comment