A moment of contemplation for yourself or on behalf of others on everything from the life-altering to the mundane.


Prayer: A conversation with The Higher Other who lives within each of us. An invitation to vent, to re-think, to ask, and to rest.

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Meditation Moments: Superior Intoxication

     It is most comfortable 
to be invisible, to observe life from a distance, at one with our own intoxicating superior thoughts.
      ~ Anne Lamott* [1954- ]



Dear Most Superior Invisible One,
    I'm not sure it's invisibility that I would find comfortable, I'd like to be aloof and observe from that pedestal. I rather like the concept of being close enough but far enough away to command a certain attention while keeping everyone at arm's length. Then I can dish in my own head with clever if less than kind judgments, point my finger (the invisible one) at those who are merely common in their small lives, while I in my brilliance could solve all personal and global issues if I allowed them close enough to impart my wisdom.
    And then my head breaks out into: 

For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
nor are your ways my ways, says the Lord.
 For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
    so are my ways higher than your ways
    and my thoughts than your thoughts.
[Isaiah 55:8-9 NRSV]

And then I realize that my superior intelligence isn't worth very much at all if all I'm doing is using it to feel superior and not to impart the love and grace You are providing. Bring me up close and personal rather than as an observer from a distance. Help me, Lord, remember, that I'm not You and the life You have given us is to be lived as You have instructed ~ together, with You, and within ourselves with love. What a far better way to experience intoxication. amen.


*Anne Lamott, an American political activist and author of non-fiction and novels all largely autobiographical and with her signature wit, humor, and self-deprecation. Tackling alchoholism, single-motherhood, and depression, Lamott brings us in to everyday American situations with down-to-earth, sometimes irreverent, vocabulary and structure that cuts directly to the center of life.








Please feel free to request a prayer or meditation to be composed for a particular person, concern, or topic for posting in this space. You may leave your request in the comments section or contact me directly at Leeosophy@gmail.com All compositions remain the property of the owner of this blog but may be used with attribution as long as they are not sold or charged for in any way. If you would like the weekly Prayers of the People prior to its appearance on the blog, please send me an email. Personal prayer requestors will remain anonymous.


No comments:

Post a Comment