A moment of contemplation for yourself or on behalf of others on everything from the life-altering to the mundane.


Prayer: A conversation with The Higher Other who lives within each of us. An invitation to vent, to re-think, to ask, and to rest.

Thursday, March 2, 2023

Meditation Moment in Lent ~ Day 8, Give Up, Take On, Pray




       Rumi was a 13th century Persian Poet, Teacher, Theologian, and Sufi Mystic. He gives us much to think about this Lenten season and in every day of our lives.  He was described as America's favorite poet in 2007.  I'm slowly realizing, after years of reading Rumi's poems, quotes, and thoughts, that I could be a much better human if I acted on more of his messages instead of merely enjoying them.
     Teaching unlimited tolerance, goodness, charity, and awareness through love, his message appeals to a wide range of creeds and sects around the world. Continuing on from yesterday’s message of love,  people ~ whether they are liked, disliked, loved, hated, or invisible in our sight ~ create all sorts of reactions and responses in our lives. Pay attention to the people you meet today ~ family, friends, co-workers, customers, clients, drivers on the road, fast food workers, store clerks. What words come to mind with each encounter
(be honest with yourself!)...is there a lesson for you to think about?  How will you accept or resist them? How will they accept or resist you?



Dear Loving Creator of All Humanity,  
           We, Your people come in all shapes, sizes, colors, temperaments, personalities, beliefs, etc., and we judge them all according to our own sense of right, wrong, or indifference as us and them. Yes, yes, I know I'm not supposed to do that however it just seems to come all too naturally ~ meet, size up (also known as judge), decide, all in a nano-second. For today, I will give up deciding about someone based on a snap-judgment. I will take on an attempt to remember that I do not know the stories behind their eyes from a lifetime or an hour ago, as no one knows mine, and that smiles, disinterest, or anger doesn’t teach me anything about who they are. I’ll try to learn something, especially about myself, from each individual I encounter even if it is only seconds long. I will pray for everyone I see, or as many as I can, even if only with a quick "Bless her/him/them, Lord," even if the moment is unpleasant, or, perhaps because it is. I'll try to change the ugly words that sometimes come into my head in order to be the kinder, more considerate, and thoughtful person I want to be, as You want me to be. Help me, Lord, to remember that each person is Yours as I am, and to be grateful that “we” are in Your Creation together. amen.





All compositions remain the property of the owner of this blog but may be used with attribution and edited for local use as long as they are not sold or charged for in any way. For more information or comments, contact: Leeosophy@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment