A moment of contemplation for yourself or on behalf of others on everything from the life-altering to the mundane.


Prayer: A conversation with The Higher Other who lives within each of us. An invitation to vent, to re-think, to ask, and to rest.

Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Meditation in Eastertide ~ Wednesday, Week 6 ~ You DO Want to Know Her!

May 8, 2024 ~ Wednesday, Week 6


That love of God is hard and marvelous.
It cannot and will not be broken 
because of our sins.

Julian of Norwich*

*Julian of Norwich [1342-1416], is celebrated on our Liturgical Calendar on this date. She was an English Anchoress in Norwich, England. She was a hermit of her time when an anchor or an anchoress lived in a small cell attached to a wall of the church, where she had a window into the sanctuary to participate in daily Mass and receive Communion. Her life consisted of daily devotions, prayer, devotional reading, and writing. She is considered to be one of the most important mystics in all of Christianity. Her manuscript of Revelations of Divine Love ~ also known as The Short Text ~ is thought to be the oldest surviving book written in English by a woman. She is probably best known for her words that with God, All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well. And while that quote was my first introduction to Julian, many years ago, for me, there are so very many quotes of Julian that resonate within me, such as the one above, that it is very difficult to choose one. Here are a few more that speak to me:

   If there is anywhere on earth a lover of God who is always kept safe, I know nothing of it, for it was not shown to me. But this was shown: that in falling and rising again we are always kept in that same precious love. 
 
   Our Savior is our true Mother in whom we are endlessly born
and out of whom we shall never come.
      
   In every soul to be saved is a godly will that has never consented to sin, in the past or in the future. Just as there is an animal will in our lower nature that does not will what is good, so there is a godly will in our higher part, which by its basic goodness never wills what is evil, but only what is good.
 
  Pray inwardly, even if it seems to give you no pleasure. It is bringing great benefit, even if you do not perceive it. Pray inwardly, even if you sense nothing, see nothing, even if you think you are achieving nothing. For it is in dryness and emptiness, in sickness and weakness, that our prayer pleases Christ most.

O Great Creator of Me ~ My Nurturer, Comforter, and Soother,
    Some days I want too much from others and they want too much from me. While I’m certainly certain that I try to meet the expectations of them, I often feel that they leave me alone in the dust of frustration, theirs and mine. I can easily dig myself deeper and deeper into the ditch of resentment even though I know ~ deep down ~ that, too often, I am not the accommodating person I like to think I am. 
   Please help me overcome at least some of my selfish diversions and turn me as close to never-ending thanksgiving and praise as possible. Remind me often of Julian’s words to pray inwardly, even if it…isn’t giving me any particular pleasure, and even if I think I am achieving nothing. Just let me stop often in each day to take a long slow deep breath in and on the breath out just whisper a small quiet thank you for all that I have in this life and for knowing, if not always believing in each crazy minute of a crazy day or week or month, that Your love for me cannot and will not be broken no matter what I do or do not do. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You…amen.







All compositions remain the property of the owner of this blog but may be used with attribution and edited for local use as long as they are not sold or charged for in any way. For more information or comments, contact: Leeosophy@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment